Don't Over Plan A Trip Abroad, Let It Unfold

Muslim Wedding - Tetebatu Lombok, Indonesia



The greatest experiences of my life have come from traveling the world alone. I've navigated Paris while living in an apartment for a month, I've been served the most delicious lamb dinner by a French chef at his Airbnb in Morocco and while visiting a small Indonesian village, I was in a traditional muslim wedding. Planning feels comfortable when anticipating a trip abroad, but the greatest stories I have are away from tourist traps and trip guides which can dull the true culture of a place. Theres no way to put a price on what the locals have shown me, and for that, I'll never over plan a trip.  


There's one acceptation to making a plan. If you've traveled abroad, especially alone, you'll know that when you land and have no cell service or foreign currency and only few people speak english, the last thing you'd want to do is make a decision about where you're going. I always book my first nights stay ahead of time, and if possible, near the airport at a place with a free shuttle. It'll save you energy, headache and a chunk of change. Wait until the next morning and after a good nights rest to get the "ins and outs" about what things should cost. Ask the hotel staff questions like this. It'll save you from being in a desperate state willing to pay whatever price you see, so educate yourself. 


When you book your trip in the comfort of your home with a glass of rose in hand, you don't consider the condition of your sanity after a long commute. I've witnessed travelers exhausted, scrambling to get to the next bus, train or flight because they haven't  experienced the reality of time when in another country. Moroccan time is a known thing, and 15 minutes could easily mean an hour. If you're on a bus, you'll have to account for the random stops that occur along the way. There's simply no way to gauge time or how you'll feel when you're actually doing the trek. We aren't robots, we're human. You'll return home needing a vacation from your vacation. Don't over book! 



Rice Paddy Field, Tetebatu
Before visiting Indonesia, I had no idea how big the country was. There are over 90,000 islands that make it up, so attempting to see it all in a single trip is near impossible. Thankfully I didn't book accommodation ahead of time, because I would have exhausted myself and not been able to make friends with locals and try multiple dishes at my favorite restaurants. Trust me, it's little things like knowing how to find your way home without maps that make you feel at home in a foreign place. I crave that feeling wherever I am because it makes a solo traveler feel confident and accomplished. I was in the Nusa Islands of Bali looking for flights to Java which was my original "plan" when doing research at home. I felt overwhelmed and anxious about spending $100 extra for a flight one way and with accommodation as cheap as $7 a night, I knew this wasn't the right move. I figured, when I want to go to Java, I'll make that a completely different trip. Don't try and be a super hero and see it all, you'll miss it. I wasn't ready to leave the beauty of Bali and Lombok and I'm glad I didn't. 



Devils Tears - Nusa Lombongan
Connecting to your inner wisdom is what makes traveling solo possible. You have to be present and aware for what might come up and stay grounded. I vent to my journal in uncomfortable situations, but always come out stronger and with more experience. The journey is beautifully unknown and if you let your heart guide you, you'll end up where your supposed to be. You'll intuitively know when its time to leave a place, stay put or mix things up. It's a lot of trust, the opposite of planning. If you're about to embark on a solo trip of your own, I am excited for you. It will change your life and doors will open for you.  

Comments

Popular Posts