I Found Wine in Indonesia

Rice & Palm Wine

I'm not a total wine snob, but I do enjoy trying wines around the world. I love how food and wine compliment each other, and the way a glass of sauvignon blanc tastes on a hot day and the warmth of a full bodied red in the winter. 


South East Asia isn't exactly known for its wine. The climate makes it hard to produce grapes, so the majority of what you'll find in Indonesia is either rice or palm wine. Palm wine is essentially coconut wine, which sounds better than it tastes. Both drink more like a Japanese sake would, so its hard for me to call them wines. 

Harry, the owner of the bungalow I was staying in, asked a few of us if we wanted to try palm wine. We were in a very remote village in Tetebatu, Lombok. Not much to do but mingle with locals and grasp the experience. Of course we said yes! 

Harry returned an hour later with 2 gas cans full of a pearl white looking substance. Palm wine is made from the sap of a coconut tree and you only have about a day to drink it before it ferments into a very strong vinegar taste. Once it ages, its made to use local spirits.


Grape Wine of Indonesia

The funniest thing happened. I was at Keramas Beach in Bali, looking to escape the crowds of Ubud. I chose this place for its off the grid feel, since there wasn't much to do but relax on the nearly empty beach. When I opened google maps to explore nearby places, I saw a winery right across from where I was staying. How is it that I happened to be staying right next to one of the 5 wineries in all of Indonesia? Sababay Winery had opened its doors to the public about a week prior. Even more ironic, they had just started a tour when I walked over. 



Take a Tour

This winery is 1 of 2 in Indonesia that makes their wine from local grapes and they're slowly gaining recognition and hold a number of awards. They've only produced wine for 10 years, so I really see growth for the industry here. Since locals aren't accustomed to dry wines, most of whats being bottled is on the sweeter side. I can't wait to see how this develops since tourism is booming. 

If you are headed to Bali, set up a tasting with friends, or simply show up yourself and join a tour. It's a unique thing to do in Indonesia since local grape wine is so rare. They're opening up a restaurant as well, so thats good news for foodies.





Sababay Winery
Jalan Professor Doktor Ida Bagus Mantra No.333X, 
Keramas, Blahbatuh, Medahan, Blahbatuh, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali, Indonesia




Comments

Popular Posts