I Lived in Paris for a Month (Affordably)


Paris, France on a budget.

I'm a "good deal" kind of girl. I love the art of thrifting, budget traveling and maximizing life experience instead of my bills. I've mastered the secrets of grocery shopping, wardrobe styling and traveling to inexpensive countries, but Paris? This was never a place I expected to go on a budget. Here are 4 ways to make it work, as I managed to in my Goodwill attire. Don't bring cowboy boots to Paris in the winter!

1. Apartment swap
2. Go when its off season
3. Buy your own groceries
4. Find a French man (kidding)

Apartment Swap.

Just like the movie The Holiday, I did a fair trade apartment swap with a French woman. Good old craigslist can be a useful tool, that's what I used to find my match. This might be a more realistic tip for people who live in desirable cities, but don't let that discourage you. I recommend putting a post out in the community section that indicates you're looking for a swap. If you're not specific on the location, it'll be easier to find someone. Be patient and let that happen if its meant to be. If that's not an option, use a site like Airbnb while traveling. I've learned to not be so attached to my space and my things in exchange for traveling the world. It'll pay your rent while you're away and give you freedom to stay cheaply in hostels, or better yet, free if using Work Away. It's a site that connects you with hosts from around the world offering free accommodation in exchange for (light) volunteer work.

Off Season.

I almost didn't believe the price when I saw it. For round trip tickets from LA to Paris, I paid $400. Not only did I have a place to stay, this price was a steal! Cheaper than flying back to the East Coast to see my family. It was January, which is shoulder season. Not as touristy, winter weather and no picnics in the park. That being said, I experienced snowy Paris, bundled in my $10 faux fur coat I'd never be able to wear in LA. It was charming to see the Sacre-Coeur snow capped, with a cup of mulled wine in my hands. If you fear a ghost town, don't worry. There are many travelers around, it's just not overwhelming like in the peak season. I even bumped into a fellow solo traveler who I'd met in Morocco. Traveling is about planting seeds around the world.

Buy Groceries.

With France being one of the cuisine capitals of the world, it would be a crime to boil your own pasta at home for a month. I'm not suggesting that, but balancing in some hearty meals that'll hold you over for the day can be an obvious way to save. While most people rave about The Louvre, I find the foreign grocery stores to be just as exciting. I love to cook, so this might not be true for you, but at least get some basics and spend a night preparing some food to have in the fridge. I'd take things like boiled eggs, sandwiches, fruit and nuts with me on a day out because walking can really burn up an appetite. If you want to save, it's about being prepared so you aren't stuck in a situation where you'd pay any price for a crumb of food.

Find a Man.

Solo traveling as a female has its pros and cons. You will likely at some point, be hit on or cat-called by a man. It can be obnoxious and irritating, but eventually you'll come to terms with it. In contrast, when theres a beautiful man at a bar and you're alone and very approachable, this can be a plus. Sophiane took me through Paris like a local and we truly enjoyed our time together. He was what you'd expect of a romantic Parisian and had tickets to a viewing tower, dinner reservations and he bought an entire pastry case worth of breakfast for us to share. This all felt like a movie, and although it's not a true tip, it is the result of being open, curious and interested. I will have this story forever and it's not one you'd put a price on.
                                        

   

Comments

Popular Posts